My 10 Favorite Essential Oils for Soap Making
So many scents to choose from! When I started Alegna Soap® I wanted to make everything and buy every essential oil I could.. I knew that moving from a hobby to a business would be challenging, and one of the hardest things to choose was which essential oils to use for my soaps. I needed oils that would play well with others and blend nicely. These are my 10 favorite essential oils for soap making and what I like to blend them with.
1. Lavender- anything on this list
2. Peppermint- lavender, patchouli, tea tree, eucalyptus, rosemary and anise
3. Lemongrass- lavender, patchouli, tea tree, eucalyptus and rosemary
4. Orange- lavender, anise, patchouli, and lemongrass
5. Patchouli- lavender, lemongrass, tea tree, orange, geranium rose and peppermint
6. Geranium Rose- lavender, anise and patchouli
7. Tea Tree- lavender, peppermint, eucalyptus, lemongrass, anise, patchouli and rosemary
8. Eucalyptus- lavender, peppermint, lemongrass, rosemary, anise and tea tree
9. Rosemary- lavender, peppermint, lemongrass, tea tree, eucalyptus
10. Anise- lavender, orange, tea tree, eucalyptus, geranium rose and peppermint
Some of them do well in threesomes. And foursomes. Try lavender, anise and orange, or tea tree, peppermint, eucalyptus and rosemary. Play around with them. I smell the caps together. If one oil overpowers another, I hold the one cap a little further away and smell. if it smells good I use less of it in proportion to the other. Not a very scientific way, but it works for me.
Do you have a favorite essential oil blend for soap?
Yours in Gratitude,